Not all vegetarians undergo the same diet. Lacto vegetarian adherents still consume milk, in addition to plant-based ingredients. Ovo vegetarians still eat eggs, in addition to plant-based ingredients. Lacto-ovo vegetarian wants to consume eggs and milk, in addition to plant-based ingredients. While vegans do not eat foods that come from animals at all. Being vegetarian is not difficult. There is no doubt that a vegetarian diet is very healthy, including for pregnant women and children.
People who reduce their intake of animal protein and increase vegetable protein, will tend to reduce fat and cholesterol and increase fiber consumption. This is what makes it clear why vegetarians have low LDL levels. That way, the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes is smaller than those who usually eat meat. This advantage can also be caused by other factors such as regular exercise, not smoking, and avoiding alcohol. Vegetarians who use eggs and milk as a source of protein, are still easy to manage food to achieve balanced nutrition compared to vegans who only rely on vegetable protein sources. For vegans, it must be right in arranging the menu, so as not to lack nutrition.
Iron which helps the formation of red blood cells to transport oxygen to body tissues, is contained in foods from animals and plants. However, the heme iron contained in animal foods is more easily absorbed by the body than nonheme iron. To facilitate absorption, vitamin C is needed. Vitamin B12 is found in food from animals, as well as soybeans and tempeh. This vitamin is needed for nervous system function. Vegetarians must pay attention to the intake of vitamins so that they are not deficient.
Tips for vegetarians:
- Choose protein sources from kidney beans, tolo beans, peanuts, almonds, soybeans and processed products such as tofu, tempeh, tauco, and soy milk.
- Choose fortified cereals.
- For those who can consume milk and eggs, you should not overdo it because the fat content does not saturate can increase your risk of heart disease.
- Choose nonfat milk and reduce the use of unsaturated fats.
- As much food as a source of vitamin C to increase iron absorption.
- For vegans, increase consumption of vitamin B12 sources such as tempeh, soy milk, and cereals that have been fortified or added to from supplements.